Frequently Asked Questions
on the Massage Mblex State Exams
& All MT Certifications
About the MBLEx:
The MBLEx stands for the Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination, which is governed by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) which was established in 2005. The FSMTB works to implement standardized regulations and procedures for licensed massage therapists in the U.S.
- The fee to take the exam is $195
- The exam consists of 125 multiple choice questions
- The time limit on the exam is 2 1/2 hours
- A passing score is 630 on the test scale of 900 possible
- The MBLEx is administered through Pearson VUE at high-security test centers across the U.S.
The exam is designed to test your knowledge and comprehension of the concepts of massage therapy. Download and read the Candidate Handbook for complete information.
The Mission of the MBLEx
"The mission of the FSMTB is to support its Member Boards in their work to ensure that the practice of massage therapy is provided to the public in a safe and effective manner. In carrying out this mission, the Federation ensures the provision of a valid, reliable licensing examination to determine entry-level competence."
The Exam has 8 Categories
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Benefits and Affects of Techniques
- Client Assessment. Reassessent, & Treatment Planning
- Ethics, Boundaries, Laws & Regulations
- Guidelines for Professional Practice
- Massage & Bodywork History, Culture, Modalities
- Pathology, Contraindications, Areas of Caution
View the Contents of the MBLEx
Where to Start
Currently, 39 of 50 states accept the Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination as part of the state licensing requirements. You may apply directly with FSMTB by filing out the application, or through your state licensing board or agency. NOTE: If you have already applied through your state licensing board, you don't need to send the application to FSMTB again.
When your application is approved, you will receive a Notice to Schedule from the MBLEx, usually via email. You will be instructed as to the date, time, and location. You have 90 days from the time you receive the scheduling notice to take the exam. If the time limit expires, you will need to submit a new application along with another fee.
Check This STATE LIST to see if your state accepts the MBLEx exam for license requirements.
Contact HugheshenshawPublications@gmail.com for more information.